Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Nintendo Not Having a press Conference at E3!?



Hi everyone, I decided that my first topic I would talk about would be Nintendo's decision to not have a press conference at E3 this year.

The News:
This news came last week when Nintendo came out and stated that they would not have a press conference at E3 and instead have 2 small conferences and showcase there games and content at there Nintendo both there. By the way if you don't know E3 is one of the largest gaming events of the year were major gaming companies come to show what they have planned for the year ahead. Nintendo's conferences would be 1 conference be private and for there investors and the 2nd conference would be open to the press. Nintendo said the reason for them not to have a press conference is because they wanted to focus on letting people try out there games and because they find there Nintendo Directs a more effective way to inform people on there products. For those of you who do not know, Nintendo Directs are small videos that Nintendo puts up showing or explaining new products, new games, or future content that they will have for there products. The videos are usually short not lasting more then 30 minutes and are often shown at random times.
Wii U
                                                        
My Opinion:
When I first heard about this news I was very shocked. At the moment, this choice to not have a press conference seemed like a huge mistake.After about a week of thinking about it, discussing about it with friends and talking to Gamestop employees about it I can come to the conclusion that I still think it is a mistake. I mean E3 is the biggest western gaming event of the year. All the big companies have huge press conferences talking about what they have in store for the year ahead. Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, and Nintendo normally have big press showing off what they have in store for the next year of gaming. I think Nintendo not having this conference shows the lack of support they have for there own system. Clearly to me this shows that Nintendo just does not have anything to show at E3. It also shows that Nintendo is to scared to show the Wii U next to the new next gen consoles that Sony and Microsoft are bound to showcase at there press conferences. In fact when I asked the Gamestop employee why Nintendo would even think of not having a conference she said that Nintendo simply does not want people to compare the Wii U to the PS4 and Next Xbox. This kind of makes sense because no matter what Nintendo shows about the Wii U, the upcoming consoles will steal the spotlight. I still think Nintendo could have had a press conference,  even knowing they will be most likely overshadowed by the other consoles I think if Nintendo had a game to announce like a new Zelda or New original Mario game would have been very good for them. Heck, even showing the new Super smash bros for the Wii U which they said they would do last year would be big for them ( Last year at E3  Nintendo said that they would show Super Smash Bros at the next years E3 which would be this year). I think either Nintendo has no new games to showcase that are going to be released with in 2013 for the Wii U or they just have to much faith in there Nintendo Direct Videos. The problem I see with there Nintendo Direct videos is that it is only seen by a small amount of people. The only people that really watch Nintendo Directs are people that already have a Wii U, are huge Nintendo fans ( which huge Nintendo fans should have already purchased Wii U's, well because there huge Nintendo fans lol) or they are the press. On the other hand E3 is watched by a lot people not just Nintendo fans but fans of all different types of gaming. I know I for one don't ever watch Nintendo directs but do watch all the E3 press conferences. I just think that there are no negatives to having a press conference unless you have nothing to show and if Nintendo has nothing to show for the Wii U then they have a major problem ( when I mean something to show I mean new games like a new Zelda).

Why Nintendo do you not want to have a press conference?!
                             
Ok I think that's all I have to write. If you feel anything different and think Nintendo is
 smart for not having a press conference feel free to comment i want to here your opinions too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment